- In the early 1990s, Bishop Lowell Knutson became concerned about the lack of Lutheran church support for gay and lesbian Christians and their families. Ron Shonke, an openly gay Lutheran pastor, was called to begin ministry with persons dealing with HIV/AIDS and gay and lesbian issues.
- Since its creation Open Door Ministries has provided counseling, referral, and support to more than 21,000 people dealing with their faith in combination with HIV/AIDS and gay,lesbian, bi-sexual, and transgender issues.
- To extend Christ’s affirming, inclusive love to persons who have often felt excluded and condemned by church and society because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- To encourage and support the Church and its members as they address issues of human sexuality and biblical interpretation.
- To bring the compassion of Christ and his Church to persons affected by HIV/AIDS and other health-related issues.